Christina Mathieson, LEED GA, GREEN, PSA, ABR
Are You Looking at Purchasing a Solar-Powered Home?
Ten Questions You Need Answers To
- Be sure your Realtor has the Leap EDU “Solar Specialist” certification to ensure that there is full disclosure to you regarding the solar agreement that the seller signed.
- Is that solar system owned by the seller or by a third party?
- How long will we be making payments, if any?
- How are payments made and are there additional monthly utility or solar payments you’ll be responsible for?
- Does having the solar cost more or less per month than a comparable home without solar?
- Will assuming a solar contract affect my mortgage?
- Are there any items related to the solar that will appear on the title of the home? Will this affect my ability to purchase it outright?
- What is the condition of the roof? Was it replaced before the solar was installed?
- Is there a warranty on the panels or other components of the solar system that needs to be transferred?
- How will we know if it’s working? What do we do if the solar doesn’t make power?